Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Oh, Hey December, When Did You Happen?

Happy December.

Hi there.
Somehow it is December.
I don't really know how this happened, but it did, and no Christmas is 21 days away and I have bought one gift.
We did get our tree up last night though.
I assembled it, added extra lights, the kids decorated it, I had wine.
Team effort, you guys.

Things have been sort of crazy cakes up in here lately.
Thanksgiving week is almost entirely a blur of work, turkey, people in my house, and minor catastrophe.
The day before Thanksgiving, I agreed to go to Sedona to do a family portrait session for some people who were coming into town from Texas. I decided to take the kids, because they'd never been there.
My photo shoot was at 3, and we left at 7 in the morning.

Needless to say, after an entire day in the car/a new town with two little kids, plus photographing 13 people for an hour, by the time we got home at 8 that night, I was ready to basically just pass out.
I did, which meant that nobody took the turkey out of the fridge to let it finish thawing out, which meant I awoke to 20 pounds of almost completely frozen turkey.
Whoops.
And I had people coming over, but didn't know when.
And I couldn't find my bra-like, anywhere.
Annnnnnnd then Lainie locked my keys in my car.
It was pretty much amazing.

Friends showed up though, with booze and suggestions, and we figured it out.
The turkey got cooked and nobody got sick, the keys were freed from the car without paying for a locksmith, and I eventually found my bra.

And then I went ahead and worked for the next four days straight instead of taking at least Friday off, because fuck weekends!

Did I mention I more or less slept all day yesterday?
Because I did, after I took the kids to school.
Not even sorry. Felt SO good.

Next weekend I have nothing booked so far, and it looks like I might be in San Diego, at least for 24 hours, and I'm kind of super ready for that.
November was a month of pure insanity, it feels like, trying to get this business going.
Looking back it was like I had tunnel vision, and all I could see was booking enough work to do this full time, pay our bills, make it through the holidays, don't die, etc.
I'm still in super-focused-sarah mode, but I'm trying to also see what's around me this month too.
Because it is December.
Christmas is almost here.
And we are doing OK.

I'm grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment