Monday, July 29, 2013

Eat: 3 Ingredient, One pan, Summer Dinner

 
In the Summer, I literally dread the idea of cooking on the stove.
I'm fine with turning the oven on and throwing something in {forcefully and with rage}, but to stand over a hot stove and stir hot things around in a hot pan, just sounds too...hot. And sweaty.
No thank you, sir.
So, the other night, as I stood in the grocery store holding a package of Keilbasa sausage and feeling quite at a loss for what the hell I was going to do with it that wouldn't involve my stove, I called my dear friend Camdon, because he is both the master of casseroles, and of lazy cooking.
He's a bachelor, which means that's not an insult.
Anyhow, he suggested I grab some red potatoes, cut everything up into manly chunks, and toss it into a casserole dish, and bake it at 350 for an hour.
Being the rebel that I am, I decided instead to use Yukon Gold potatoes, and to add chopped, fresh broccoli, and then to drizzle it all with olive oil and spice it up with Garlic and Creole seasoning, and bake it at 375 for 40 minutes, instead.
 
I think it's safe to say that you've gotten old, when your greatest form of rebellion is making someone else's recipe slightly differently from the way they told you to make it.
 
In any case, it was delicious.
And so easy!
I just grabbed the potatoes and the broccoli and a bottle of wine, headed home and got to washing and cutting.
I chopped the broccoli heads, tossed them in the pan.
Washed and quartered the potatoes, into the pan.
Cut the sausage into 2 inch chunks, and again, into the pan.
Busted out the olive oil, the garlic powder, the onion powder and the creole seasoning.
Smothered everything with seasony goodness.
Tossed it in the oven.
Then I had some wine and ate some chips and salsa, and 40 minutes later, I had a pan nearly over flowing with delicious, filling, goodness, that didn't have any cheese or cream-of-whatever soup in it at all.
 
So there you have it.
Summer dinner that requires 3 ingredients, one pan, and no stove.
 
You're welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment