Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Recipe: Egg Muffin Things!

Breakfast foods are delicious, I think we can all agree on that!
But, a lot of them are bad for you and the ones that aren't never seem to fill me up, and bananas make my stomach hurt.
I only add that because people are always screaming about bananas in or around my breakfast foods, and I'm here to tell you: it's not like the mascot fruit of morning meals, ok?
Geeze.
Anyway, when I was in high school I could totally go all morning without eating a bite, and not feel hungry until around noon.
Yeah.
Not so much anymore.
It seems like every year older I get the earlier I need to eat. I should transition nicely into senior citizenship, seeing as how I'm only a cup of coffee with my 4 p.m. dinner away from being my Nana. 
Now that I do need breakfast, I've also learned I need protein.
So step the fuck off cereal, cuz you don't do shit for me!
The solution?
EGGS!
I love eggs in the morning. 2 hardboiled eggs will fill me up and carry me through to 11:30 for lunch without a problem. It's awesome.
But, after eating 2 hard boiled eggs every morning at work for 2 weeks, I'm fucking over it.
Looking for a way to spice it up, I went to the only place that understands me: Pinterest. 
egg sandwiches
For egg sandwiches.

Really I didn't have much intention to make egg sandwiches, but I liked the idea of cooking eggs in a muffin pan in the oven instead of on the stove, and I thought to myself "Self! You could add shit to the eggs whilst they're cooking and make them even more delicious!"
It was a stroke of genius.

So, I made these:

Egg Muffin Things!
I know, brilliant name. Nobody steal it, ok?

Basically I just dropped some muffin liners into a muffin pan {because even with Pam eggs can stick to muffin pans REAL BAD. Just ask my friend Chris's old muffin pan. It's in the trash now.} and cracked one egg into each liner. 
Like so.

Then I chopped up some spinach and tomato to make these a little more flavorful but still healthy.


Then I baked them at 350 for 15 minutes.
After that amount of time they were still runny in the middle, so back in the oven they went.
Five minutes later they were perfect, and looked like this:


Before baking them I'd also thrown in some salt, pepper and garlic powder for taste.

In the end they were delicious. They tasted like the egg sandwich patties on the Egg McMuffins at McDonalds, only real and less greasy.
Next time I might do a few with salsa and a few with breakfast sausage or bacon and cheese or something.
Hey, you can't eat healthy ALL the time, right?!

{No, the answer is no. Stop saying yes, yes you can. BECAUSE YOU CAN'T.}


1 comment:

  1. This a a great idea. When I was younger I also haven't eaten anything until noon, and these days most of all I start my day with a bowl of cereals. But I also love eggs, and this sounds so great that I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete