Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Titanic and I, 14 Years Later

Tumblr_lxz5drsqyr1qmds3do1_500_large

Titanic re-releases into theaters today, and yes I am definitely going to see it.
I love that movie, and I have since I was 10 years old when it first came out. Ask my sisters and they'll tell you they heard about NOTHING BUT that movie for a solid 9 months after it released 14 years ago. It moved me, quite literally to tears every time I watched it, making me cry the ugly cry much to the embarrassment of my older sisters who went to see it with me, and it made me cry every time I watched it after that over the years. But recently Bill and I watched it together, and I was shocked at the fact that I didn't cry. Not on single tear. I didn't even get choked up.
Wanna know why?
When I saw it in theaters all those years ago, with my sisters, my dad and my then step mom Tonya, I remember sitting there as the theater lights came back on and the credits rolled to a stop, and I was still sobbing.
Tonya turned to me and said
 "Although I doubt you'll ever experience something quite that tragic and dramatic, I guarantee some day you will experience something that romantic. If you're lucky you'll experience something even more romantic, something that will make that love story seem small and trivial to you. I promise."
I have remembered those words ever since.
And I think the reason I didn't cry after watching it with Bill was because I finally realized: She was right.
I did experience am experiencing something better.
But it's still an awesome movie



1 comment:

  1. I am so stoked to see this movie again - I saw it three times in the theater when it came out!!!

    ReplyDelete