Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Forgetting


I am resurrecting you
Through pictures and your old t-shirts
Saved in cardboard boxes, they somehow still smell like you.
I realized today I was starting to forget.
Little things
That's how it always starts. 
You lose the exact color of someones eyes
Or the shape of their smile.
And before you know it,
Like sand they've slipped between your fingers
One small memory, one simple detail at a time.
Then you're left with things that don't really add up to a person,
Things that in the end do not equal a life
The smell of the ocean, the tune to a song, the taste of coconut on someone else's lips.
Road maps and flight plans to the places we went.
Little scraps of paper with poems and notes I never finished.
I'm scared of forgetting everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment