Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pink Eye and Birthday Steak

The Jedi's birthday was yesterday, and as much as I was completely anti-planning birthday stuff this year, (because A. he still doesn't get the concept of what his birthday is B. I don't feel like bleeding out money we don't have on a birthday he won't remember C. I didn't want to deal with it. At all. ) I ended up doing something even more effortless and rebellious than initially planned, because The Jedi got Pink Eye.
I ended up having to call everyone who was going to come over for pizza and presents and tell them "Hey, ummmm you can still totally come over if you want, but The Jedi has pink eye, sooooooo that's your call." Surprisingly, everyone respectfully declined, decided to spend time with him later this week or on the weekend, and wished him a speedy recovery.

I never thought I'd say this, but thank you pink eye. Thank you.

It's not that I don't want his family to get to spend time with him on his birthday, I do. I love birthdays and I love having close friends and select family members over for a quiet, small celebration of my awesome sauce kids. Because they are totally awesome sauce. What I dislike is the feeling that everyone has their own idea as to what we should do for The Jedi's birthday. A party? Going to Chuck E. Cheese? Inviting kids The Jedi doesn't even know? Honestly, what is wrong with some food, some cake, some presents and some laughs, right here in my house? At least until he's old enough to understand birthdays, and tell us what he wants to do.

So we stayed home and had a pretty good night just the four of us, featuring some steak, some weird soupy potato stuff, some Star Wars themed gifts, and The Roomie's realization that I definitely need to get out of the house more. At the end of the night, we all piled in the car and headed off to Cold Stone for some ice cream. It was amazing, of course, it's ICE CREAM! And both the kids got to experience a Birthday sugar crash. It's a tradition in this family, apparently.

And now here we are, my third day as an accidental SAHM, trying to carefully balance The Jedi's pink eye, his mental stimulation, the cleanliness factor of the house and my own sanity if there is any time left in the day. Needless to say, I am so furking ready for a night away from the house and the laundry and the dishes and the sweeping and mopping and cooking and the kids and the AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH that if the world really does end on Saturday at 6 p.m., the worst part of that will be that I didn't get to go out and have even a single glass of wine first.

Hang in there world, I need my one night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment