Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Music is Betraying Me

I feel betrayed by music these days. I am a music junky, a self proclaimed rythym-holic, an absolute addict for the well sung word. Poetry melted beautifully over a sweet, addictive beat absolutely melts my heart. I would go hungry before I had to live the rest of my life without hearing music. I admit, I am a snob when it comes to music however. Lyrics matter to me. I cannot "get down" if you will, to a song with retarded lyrics. Every once in a while I make an exception for a good dance tune if the beat is thumpin and the words are sort of catchy. But You will NOT hear me singing along to "Black and Yellow" by whatever fucking Moron sings "Black and Yellow". Where I come from, ya know the land of GOOD MUSIC, "Blue and Yellow" by The Used was the song to sing about colors and stuff.
But back to my original point. I feel betrayed by music these days. Due to my excellent skills in procrastination, I had about 87,000 errands to run that all had to get done today, and therefor spent the entire day in my car listening to the radio and my CD's. I was devistated. The radio is an absolute abomination right now. I mean, the towers should just be taken down and DJ's should be publicly flogged, the shit playing on the radio right now is so terrible. And its the same five terrible songs on every station played over and over and OVER. Can anyone say Katy Perry is fucking overplayed?!
Even my CD's made me sad. I thought back to the winter of 2005 and the spring/summer of 2006. That was an awesome time for music, at least for me. Deathcab for Cutie was on the radio, along with other good bands. GOOD CD's were being produced, and alot of really talented artists were finally getting recognized. I could listen to the radio all day and find something good on. Brand New was coming up from the underground more and more. Hellogoodbye was on two or three different stations. Panic! At the Disco released their first album, The Format hadn't gotten all shitty yet. Taking Back Sunday released Louder Now, before I even had a chance to get sick of "Where You Want to Be". "The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me" Released shortly after from Brand New (always in competition right?) The Used was still kicking ass, basking in the glory that was "In Love and Death" and Fall Out Boy hadn't yet lost Pete Wentz to a pop star, and "From Under the Cork Tree" was always in my stereo. I was in love with music, and it was everywhere.
Emo back then wasn't a hairstyle, or a type of pants, it was music. It was a way of life, and also a way of dressing. It wasn't "Scene" or "Hipster" or whatever the fuck it is now. It was emo, and it was poetry in motion. It was the blood, sweat and tears of struggling and amazingly talented musicians finally paying off, just before they all sold out and started to suck/stopped recording altogether.
I miss good music. I miss pure, unmolested art that was made for the freedom and release the true expression brings, not for profit or fame or for all the little "hipsters" running around in their tight Levi pants.
Hey! You posers, back in MY day, when Emo was Emo, and music was good, guys had to buy GIRL pants to get them tight enough, and that was weird, and indie and ultimately quircky, eccentric and cool. Now they make boy pants girly for you so you don't have to do the work yourself. You all suck.

"This is me with the words on the tip of my tongue, and my eye through the scope down the barrel of a gun. Remind me not to every think of you again"

"I've wrote more postcards than hooks, I read more maps than books. I feel like every chance to leave was another chance I should've took."

"Keep quiet. Nothing comes as easy as you, can I lay in your bed all day? I'll be your best kept secret and your biggest mistake. The hand behind this pen relives a failure everyday."

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, welcome to the sobering reality of adulthood. I remember going through the exact same rage at the end of the 90s when all the real music disappeared :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate adulthood. I am sorely missing being 19 right now.

    ReplyDelete