Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dinnah Time

I love food. This isn't exactly a secret to most people that know me, or have seen my waistline in the last couple years. I love food, and I love to cook, and I especially love eating what I cook with a table full of loved ones. Watching their happy faces as they eat something delicious. Good food brings people together. Food is something we all have in common. We all have to eat! There is nothing better if you ask me, than passing around a good bottle of wine, some nice crusty bread and talking about life, the Universe and everything during a good meal.

Tonight for dinner, I am making my well loved Red Beans and Rice. My family loves this dish, and even the kids ask for seconds. I don't evah evah evah have to say "Sit down, and finish eating!" to my two year old son when this is in front of him!

Red Beans and Rice Recipe:

2 ripe tomatoes (I prefer the vine ripened kind, but whatever suits your fancy)
2 cans of dark red kidney beans, drained
1 lb. sausage (I use kilbasa, but again, whatever suits your fancy)
1/2 white or yellow onion
Minced garlic
Cumin
Salt and Pepper
2 cups white rice prepared

Dice the tomato and cut the sausage into pennies
Chop the onion, and add all of this together to a skillet or frying pan with minced garlic and lots of cumin. I dont do measurements of seasonings, because thats stupid. I like lots of garlic, but season it to your taste.
Fry the sausage until its browned on the edges and the onion is clear
Add this to a sauce pot with the drained kidney beans, 1/2 cup water and a splash of hot sauce
Simmer for 2-3 hours on low
Regularly taste it to see how the flavor is developing. Beans are pretty bland, you will need a decent amount of garlic, cumin, salt and pepper and tobasco.
Serve over hot white rice and enjoy.
*Aside from the rice, this freezes beautifully. Make in advance and freeze for a busy night when you have no time to cook :)

No comments:

Post a Comment