Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chili!!!


Since we live in Arizona and it starts getting warm again like....now, I wanted to make my last pot of chili for the "winter". My chili recipe is a family recipe handed down from some guy named Clint to my dad, then my older sister then to me. One day I will teach my daughter how to make it. I call it Italian Style Chili because of a couple of the ingrediants, but I suppose if you made it you could call it something cooler. Like "Sarah's Chili" or "Awesome Chili from the Awesomest person ever". Its up to you.

1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1 can red kidney beans
2 cans Ranch Style beans
2 big cans of sliced stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 small can tomato sauce
1 lb. hamburger
1 lb. Italian Sausage Mild
1 bunch Cilantro
1/2 white or yellow onion
Minced garlic
Chili powder
cumin powder
onion powder
Tobasco or Louisiana hot sauce. Really, you have to use these specifically. None others will do :)

Brown the beef in a skillet, drain fat and put the beef into your chili pot.
Brown the italian sausage in the same skillet, add it to the chili pot.
In that same skillet again, sautee the half white onion which you should have chopped, along with the chopped cilantro and some lemon juice. Add a spoonful of minced garlic once the onions are soft. Sautee until they're clear. Add to the chili pot
Drain all the beans except 1 can of the Ranch style beans, add to the pot
Drain one can of the stewed tomatoes, add both cans to the pot along with the tomato paste and tomato sauce
Season the whole mess with lots of the above mentioned seasonings and some good splashes of hot sauce.
Heat the chili and simmer about 2 hours. Chili always gets better the longer it simmers, and is perfect when reheated the next day. Add garlic, chili powder and hot sauce to taste. I like it pretty hot, but thats just me.
Serve with some shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream if its too hot for your kiddies.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment