Sunday, October 31, 2010

Best Pot Roast Ever

I love pot roast, but I didn't always. I actually hated it as a kid, because it was always SO bland and dry, and needed more salt than was humanly safe in order to make it taste good. Turns out my mom was just a shitty cook.

I make it now for my kids, and they love it, because this recipe kicks ass.

Behold.

What You Need

A 3-5 lb. roast
1 package of dry onion soup mix
1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can of beef broth
1 package of whole, washed mushrooms
olive oil
tin foil
garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, and if you're feelin fancy some Cajun seasoning is good too.

Preheat your oven to 325

In a bowl, combine the onion soup mix, the condensed cream of mushroom soup and the beef brother together and mix well
In a frying pan, heat to medium high, and drizzle olive oil on the pan
When it's hot, sear the meat until it's lightly browned on the top and bottom {probably only a minute or two on each side, if that}
Place the roast in a casserole pan or roasting pan
Season with the above seasonings to taste
Pour the onion/mushroom/broth mixture over the roast
Throw the mushrooms around the pot roast, whole
Cover with tin foil

Bake at 325 for 1.5 hours, then increase the heat to 350 and bake for another 1.5 hours

I personally do not add potatoes or veggies to my roast pan, because they absorb all the sauce mixture around the roast, which I like to use as gravy over the meat and mashed potatoes, but that's just me. You are free to do as you like.

Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment